Primal Forces: SHIELD of Magic

Summary:
March 09 2015: Fenris decides to ask a warrior to be a guardian of the world's magic.

May's House

Melinda May's house. A sanctum seen by few.


Characters

NPCs

  • None

Mood Music:
[* None]


Four. That's the number of Ley Guardians Fenris has approached so far. And all have accepted. So far. He's doing some very serious considering on whom should be approached next. Despite the general character of the heroes he's given pendulums to it's not necessary that the champions of this world's magic be empowered, or magically versed. In fact some of the best champions have been ordinary if skilled men and women. Which brings one person to mind. There's a fair chance she may refuse him… but perhaps recent events will have changed her mind…

Well, one way to find out. Fenris casts his senses out for Melinda May, hoping she's not doing something highly classified.

***

No, what May is currently doing is not highly classified, but it is very likely to get the Sun Eater punched if he were to drop in unannounced right this moment. Maybe it would be best to wait about ten minutes until she's finished her post-workout shower and is dressed again.

***

Fortunately unlike a certain teleporting Mutant Fenris is not in the habit of dropping in on people in the shower unannounced. He might, however, be willing to arrive at May's house fortuitiously just as she's getting dressed and comfortable. This may or may not be a good thing. It's probably forutnate that getting shot is unlikely to kill him since he's not really a comforting figure. Still, sure enough, there's a knock at the door as May gets settled.

***

Melinda May huffs in mild annoyance at the knock on the door, as only door to door salespeople ever actually dare to knock, then sets her cup of tea on the side table and goes to answer the door. A brief glance through a side window reveals who it is and she actually opens the door wide enough to silently invite Fenris inside. "Wolfson. I'd ask why you're here, but I suspect I'm going to find out regardless."

***

"Something like that." The Old Wolf says with a chuckle. He regards May searchingly for a long, long moment. It's a fairly intense gaze, one more animal than human. It's a habit he's never broken. "May I come in? There's something I wish to discuss with you."

***

Melinda May nods simply and gestures for Fenris inside. "You going to want some tea?" she offers while closing the door again. Her cup is there on the side table of a room so simply furnished it typifies the term spartan.

***

"If it's no trouble, sure." Fenris nods as he steps inside, looking about. Clean. Functional. About what he expected honestly. He waits a moment while May puts a kettle on. "You've been involved in recent magical disturbances, have you not, Warrior?" The wolf tilts his head slightly. "I'm curious to know what your thoughts are."

***

Melinda May moves about in the kitchen, restarting the kettle after adding a bit more water to it. "Do you want me to be honest or polite?" She pulls down a simple mug identical to the one already containing tea and prepares it for the addition of the heated water. "Because I really don't think I can manage both at the same time."

***

"I learned to be human in third century Norway." Fenris says with a small smile. "I can handle honest. Most of the time I prefer it." It seems like a chit-chat question but the answer is actually very, very important to the god-wolf.

***

Melinda May pours the water into the cup after turning off the stove and carries the new teacup back over to Fenris before taking a seat and claiming her own cup again. "I'm getting really tired of having to deal with things that look like they've come out of a Geiger drawing or an episode of Doctor Who. If you know some way that I can help make them go away once and for all, count me in."

***

"Mmmmm…" Fenris accepts the cup and takes a sip. It's quite good. "The truth is there are guardians who are supposed to watch over such things and prevent them from getting too out of hand. Deal with them before they become problems like the ones you are presently experiencing. But we've been… short handed, up until recently, those of us on the magical side of things, and the disturbances are getting worse and more frequent."

Another sip of that tea. "Which is why I am reviving an… old solution to the problem. A solution I'd like you to be a part of."

***

Melinda May takes a sip from her cup as well. "What does it involve?" She sets her cup down. "I'm already pulling double duty at work. Keeping up with my regular assignments on top of being the handler for a … unique outside asset. I won't compromise either of those."

***

Fenris produces a Ley Pendulum. It's a piece of polished carnalian in cut in a six-sided spike on the end of a short chain. On the other end is a pendent. This one has an oriental dragon carved on it. As it dangles there in his hand the tip of the pendulum starts to point in May's direction. "More or less what you're already doing. Your work seems to involve you in the world's safety a great deal and right now that's being compromised by arcane forces. This is a tool to help you deal with such things. There are others who have already accepted it from me. From time to time I may… ask for help in dealing with problems of an arcane nature. At other times, I have no doubt, you will run into them on your own."

***

Melinda May doesn't reach for the chain. Not yet. "Who else has accepted one of these?" If she has to deak with some of these other people at any point, she wants to know who they are beforehand so she can be prepared in advance.

***

"At present, Zatanna Zatara, Jesana Ravae, Misfit and Supergirl." Fenris is still considering whom else to approach. Its usually a mistake to plan these things too far in advance or in too much detail. They tend to work themselves out.

***

The first three she knows. The fourth is a Kyrptonian. Well, it could be worse, though one question does occur to her almost immediately. "Why have your recipients been only females so far?" Now that she thinks the women named aren't capable, just…. it seems odd.

***

"Mmmm, well, honestly because they were the first four that came to mind. All people I think I can trust to treat the situation with… appropritate gravity. And work together. A certain amount of that will be required." The wolf god smiles. "Time was when a woman would never have been considered. Back in different days."

***

Melinda May scoffs faintly. "I can imagine." She looks at the dragon pendant and the carnelian for a moment longer, then reaches out a hand to accept the object. "I'd better not regret this."

***

"Depends on what you're prone to regret. I'll not lie and say this will be easy." Fenris says as he hands it over. "However I can promise you that you'll have help and I'll teach you what you need to know. The Ley Pendulums are not… items of power the way most are used to thinking of them. They allow users to communicate and teleport along ley lines and in times of great need (and generally only then) they greatly enhance their bearer's natural abilities." If May has it for a while other things may emerge too but those tend to be on a case by case basis. "I did not come to ask you because of what it could make you, I came to ask you because of what you already are." And among those he's asked so far, she's the only real warrior.

***

May's expression darkens slightly. "You mean someone capable of killing another human without remorse." Regret, definitely. Remorse? No.

***

"A fighter." Fenris smiles. "Resourceful, determined. How many of the others I named do you think have faced real danger the way you have? How many have lived a lifetime of it?" Fenris has, but he knows that kind of experience is rare among modern mortals.

***

Melinda May considers, then tilts her head slightly in a sort of nod. "Fair enough." She suspects she's going ot end up having to train that Jesana kid on how to fight.

***

"Wonderful, then." The Old Wolf nods. "I'll be by later to show you how to use the more common of it's abilities." The last one will basically come and go as the magic feels the need to empower the champions. "I realise this may complicate things with your superiors. If they have… concerns, they may visit me. My house is in Brooklyn. It's not hard to find." He sets the cup down. "Excellent tea, by the way."

***

Melinda May nods at the compliment about the tea, then sets her cup down as well, suspecting that the Old Wolf is about to take his leave. "I'll let the Director know. He may not like it, but he's smart enough to know when he needs to just try to work things to his advantage."

***

"Mmmmmm." Fenris smiles tapping his nose knowingly. "I'm sure he is at that. Perhaps then you'd like an object lession?" It's pure luck that there's a Ley Line in May's back yard, but then these things do have a way of working out after all.

***

"Depends on what all is involved." May is, after all, home and settled down for the night for the first time in what feels like a really long time.

***

"A quick lesson in ley teleportation. You have a small line running right through your koi pond." Fenris says, indicating her yard with a nod. "Which is also, may I say, quite nice."

***

Her koi pond? Figures. Probably explains why those damned fish are so cantankerous sometimes. May nods to Fenris then finishes her tea before going to put on a pair of shoes and her jacket. She debates taking the scarf Howard made for her, unsure of how its electrical properties would interact with the ley line out there.

***

Fenris steps outside, watching as May makes a rather curious decision about her clothing. She doesn't really seem like the type to be concerned with such things ordinarily. Curious. Once she's there he gestures to her pendulum. "Concentrate on it. You may feel a tingling sensation. If you really focus on it it'll spread up from wherever you're touching it. Let it." It'll help her merge with the line. Once she's in the sensations can be a bit of a rush but that's why he's here, to merge as she does and show her how to direct that rush. Not's not something that can really be described with words.

***

Melinda May steps up to the edge of the currently frozen-over koi pond and follows Fenris' direction. She notices the strange sensation readily enough and focuses on it, even after it starts feeling something like the dizziness of blood loss. But not really.

***

There's a slow… well it may look quite odd from May's point of view. From Fenris', May dissolves into the ground. After a moment he does too. The sensations that follow there aren't really words for. It's a blur of light and sound and feeling as Fenris guides her through the river that is a Ley Line. When they emerge it's only a few seconds later and they're on the other side of town, near a park.

***

Melinda May blinks rapidly when they arrive at the other side of the ley line, the disorientation of the travelling catching up with her. "That… is going to take some getting used to, I think."

***

"Handy when a Quinnjet can't be taken though." Fenris smiles. Not that Quinnjet's might not be useful sometimes. Who knows but that if Fury at least tacitly agrees that this is a good thing SHIELD might not toss them a bone from time to time. Not often he's sure. At all, but any little perk helps.

***

"I … can't just choose where I want to go, though, can I? These lines have finite starting and stopping points." May is trying to see how that would be more useful than a quinjet, and can't reall see it right this moment. But then, not surprising. She's just barely accessed this for the first time.

***

Fenris nods. "Correct. The lines do not run everywhere. It's not a universal teleport. But after a time you'll grow used to sensing where they run. Most major cities have at least one Ley Line and a lot of the more impressive natural features follow them as well. So it's helpful, if not always as convenient as could be wished."

"It is, however, near instantaneous. You can be from here to Moscow in a few seconds."

***

Melinda May considers. "I think I'll save it for last resort." She takes a moment to loop the chain around her neck then twist the dragon and carnelian around each other in a manner that makes them resemble a necklace that she then tucks underneath her jacket. "Thank you. Now… how do I get back home?"


Back to: RP Logs

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License